Details and Share
Planets and Solar System
Students will create a mini poster with pictures and a ‘memory phrase’ to teach others the planets in order.
Grade Level: 3rd Grade
Length of Time: 10 - 20 Minutes
Objectives & Outcomes
Students will be able to name each planet.
- card stock
- colored pencils
- paint (optional)
- list/pictures/drawings of planets
Opening to Lesson
Ask students if they ever use tricks to remember lists of things. Ask if they know the trick to remembering the colors of the rainbow in order. (ROY G. BIV). Some will respond. Ask if they have ever heard their parents say ‘righty tighty, lefty loosey’ when working around the house. These are all examples of using word tricks to remember a group of things in order.
Body of Lesson
- Have students look at the example of ROY G. BIV again. Each letter stands for a color. There are other word tricks that we can use to remember lists in school. But today you are going to come up with one on your own. Your word trick or memory helper will be to teach others the planets in order, from the Sun. We want to come up with a funny phrase that uses the first letter of each planet to create new words, but help people remember the planets. Since you already know all the planets, let’s review which order they are in.
- Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune
- If I were to try to remember these with a funny phrase I think it would be easier. So maybe I would use something like : My very empty mouth just screamed unusual noises
- The phrase is sill, but it is one you will remember. What can you come up with.
Now that you have come up with a phrase, create a poster that shares your phrase and some related artwork. These posters will be displayed in the classroom and hallway so make sure they are neat and everything is spelled correctly.
Display posters and review phrases.<!- mfunc search_btn -> <!- /mfunc search_btn ->
Assessment & Evaluation
Students will show understanding by creating a memory aid that shares the planets in order from the Sun.
Modification & Differentiation
Offer to write planetary names for student. Work in small groups or one-on-one depending on needs. Use visual cues.
Related Lesson Plans
This lesson will allow students to practice creating art using a unique medium, yarn.
On Top of Spaghetti
This plan will allow students to practice coordination while staying physical.
Camouflage and Environment
Students will make butterflies of various colors and then they will experience the advantage that butterflies that are the same color as their environment have against predators.
Students will practice listening skills and basic physical concepts as required in physical education class. Students will also work on balance and coordination.
Ready to Pursue a Master’s Degree in Education? Make it Your Time!
Teacher.org’s lesson plans encourage conceptual understanding and lifelong learning skills in students as well as empower and motivate teachers.
Are you currently teaching but have the desire to pursue a Master’s Degree in Education? Follow your passion for teaching but at the same time give yourself the tools to further your career and learning. Whether it’s higher salaries, advanced career opportunities, or leadership positions, earning your Master’s Degree in Education is one worth pursuing. Make it your time!