Students will practice listening skills and basic physical concepts as required in physical education class. Students will also work on balance and coordination.
Grade Level: K - 6th
Length of Time: As Desired
Objectives & Outcomes
Learners should be able to keep moving in some manner and then hold a position for 5 to 10 seconds.
- Large open area for children to spread out
- CD or other form of music with a strong beat
Opening to Lesson
Begin by asking students if they know what the word freeze means. Have students start jogging in place and explain when you say freeze that they have to stop and not move one bit, they are frozen. Explain that this will be part of the game for the day.
Body of Lesson
- Have students spread out.
- Explain that once the music starts they should start moving or dancing around.
- They should continue to dance and move until the music is stopped.
- If the music stops they must freeze in whatever position they happen to be in at the time and hold it until the music is started again.
- If they move they are out and must sit until the next round.
If desired have winners control the music for the next round. Ask students how long they think one position can be held. Allow them to try different positions such as standing on one leg.
Assessment & Evaluation
Assessment and evaluation will be based on participation, following directions, and simple observation.
Modification & Differentiation
Depending on the disability some exceptions to ‘freezing’ may have to be made.
Related Lesson Plans
Students will play a game in which they need to change direction quickly. Students are to pretend that they are on a sailboat that is in the middle of a storm. They will have to run and change direction based on verbal commands and duck quickly to avoid being hit by the imaginary boom.
This lesson will allow students to practice gross motor skills.
The students will research games and activities from other countries to share during a PE class.
Students will practice listening skills and basic physical concepts as required in physical education class.