Details and Share
This lesson will allow students to demonstrate knowledge of various grade appropriate shapes.
Grade Level: 1 - 3rd
Length of Time: 15-20 Minutes
Common Core Alignment
CCSS.MATH.CONTENT.2.G.A.1 - Recognize and draw shapes having specified attributes, such as a given number of angles or a given number of equal faces.1 Identify triangles, quadrilaterals, pentagons, hexagons, and cubes.
Objectives & Outcomes
Students will create shapes using pipe cleaners to show knowledge of grade appropriate shapes.
Pipe cleaners (or play dough)
Opening to Lesson
- Ask students to name as many shapes as they can.
- Ask if they can draw each shape as it is named.
- List the shapes on a board or large sheet of paper as they are named.
Body of Lesson
- Give students several pipe cleaners to use in this activity.
- Tell students that you will point to and name a shape that is written on the board and you want them to make that shape with their pipe cleaners.
- Explain that when they are finished they are to hold their shape up.
- Have students hold each shape up as it is complete.
- Allow students to see what they can create with the pipe cleaners after the activity is complete.
Assessment & Evaluation
The students will accurately create five of seven given shapes using pipe cleaners or another medium.
Modification & Differentiation
Special needs students may be given extended time or fewer shapes.
Related Lesson Plans
Thanksgiving Food Pyramid
Students will discuss the foods that are traditionally eaten at Thanksgiving in the United States and place them into food groups based on the food pyramid.
Camouflage and Environment
Students will make butterflies of various colors and then they will experience the advantage that butterflies that are the same color as their environment have against predators.
Beginning Sound Match
This lesson will allow students to practice both writing names and identifying beginning sounds for common item names.
This lesson will allow students to practice creating art using a unique medium, yarn.
Ready to Pursue a Master’s Degree in Education? Make it Your Time!
Teacher.org’s lesson plans encourage conceptual understanding and lifelong learning skills in students as well as empower and motivate teachers.
Are you currently teaching but have the desire to pursue a Master’s Degree in Education? Follow your passion for teaching but at the same time give yourself the tools to further your career and learning. Whether it’s higher salaries, advanced career opportunities, or leadership positions, earning your Master’s Degree in Education is one worth pursuing. Make it your time!