Ride ‘Em Cowboy/girl
This lesson will allow students to practice gross motor skills.
Grade Level: K - 2nd
Length of Time: 20- 30 Minutes
Objectives & Outcomes
The learners will work on gross motor skills and coordination.
- Pool noodles (made into ‘stick horses’ - pictured below)
- *Need enough to allow about five students at a time to race
Opening to Lesson
- Begin by showing students their ‘ride’ for the day.
- Tell students they will race on their horses around the gym and they should try to gallop as fast as they safely can.
- Demonstrate how to ride the horse.
- Ask students to think of a name for their horse.
Body of Lesson
- Have students choose a horse and practice ‘riding’ a bit before the first race.
- Allow the first set of students to race. If time permits let the winners have a final race if desired.
- Have students discuss whether it was difficult to ride a horse.
- Have students share their horse names.
Assessment & Evaluation
Students will race while riding stick horses around the gym. Assessment will be based on showing good sportsmanship and participation.
Modification & Differentiation
Allow students to ‘ride’ as well as possible or carry the stick horse.
Related Lesson Plans
This lesson will allow students to practice teamwork, basic math skills, and get exercise through a relay race. Note: Problems/difficulty level can be altered by grade
Students will practice listening skills and basic physical concepts as required in physical education class.
This plan will allow students to practice coordination while staying physical.
This plan will allow students to practice coordination while staying physical. Students will demonstrate moving straight, backwards, and in a zig-zag pattern.