Pass It Off
This lesson will allow students to practice passing, dribbling, and bouncing skills using basketballs
Grade Level: 3 - 5th
Length of Time: 20 - 30 Minutes
Objectives & Outcomes
The learners will work on skills related to basketball.
- Tape for floor
Opening to Lesson
- Begin by telling students that they are going to practice skills associated with basketball.
- Demonstrate how to properly dribble, pass the basketball, and bounce the ball to someone else.
Body of Lesson
- Explain to students that you will call out a direction for them to complete and then pass or bounce it to a partner.
- Begin by pairing off students and giving each pair one basketball. Have one partner on one side or the gym/room behind a tape line and one on the other side.
- Start simple by having the partner with the ball dribble for a three count and then bounce the ball to a partner, have the partner do the same.
- Continue to change the orders to challenge students (dribble the pass without the ball bouncing, dribble for a five count without stopping and then pass the ball but let it bounce twice before it gets to the partner, etc.)
- Allow students to take turns trying to shoot baskets.
Assessment & Evaluation
Students will practice skills related to basketball such as dribbling, bouncing, and passing with a partner. Evaluation will be based on participation and the ability to attempt and improve on the necessary skills.
Modification & Differentiation
Allow students to practice as possible based on abilities.
Related Lesson Plans
Using a deck of playing cards, the students will pick the number of reps for various exercises.
Combining information about the speed of animals, the students will run laps in the gym or outdoors.
The students will research games and activities from other countries to share during a PE class.
This plan will allow students to practice coordination while staying physical.