Dance Your Heart Out
This activity will allow students to demonstrate choreography skills, dance skills, and creativity in small groups.
Grade Level: 6 - 8th
Length of Time: 1 - 2 Class Periods
Objectives & Outcomes
The learners will create a dance to a school appropriate song of their choosing. The dance will have varied moves and be performed as a group.
- Access to a cd player or computer to play songs
- Room to perform and practice
Opening to Lesson
- Begin by asking students to consider their favorite dance moves and artists.
- Tell students they will be creating a new dance for a favorite, school appropriate song.
Body of Lesson
- Have students choreograph a dance in small groups (4 to 6 students) to a song that the group agrees on as a majority.
- The dance will be performed in front of the whole class and be graded on creativity, appropriateness, and making sense with the chosen music.
- Have students perform their dance
- Video tape and/or invite other classes if desired.
Assessment & Evaluation
Students will create a dance to a school appropriate song of their choosing. The dance will be evaluated on creativity and cohesiveness.
Modification & Differentiation
Allow students to perform choreographed moves within their physical range.
Related Lesson Plans
In this visual arts lesson, students will create zoo animals (or any animals) using paper mache. The ‘zoo’ can be displayed in the classroom or in a localized area of the school.
This visual arts lesson will allow students to share some personal interests in the form of a diorama. Sample rubric included.
Students will make a beautiful vibrant menorah using art supplies while learning about the background.
This performing arts activity will allow students to demonstrate skills in conveying emotions without using words.